Disposable Food Containers and Takeaway Boxes Buying Guide
Disposable takeaway boxes and food containers are essential for fast food restaurants and also useful when customers want to take home leftovers. They are used for chicken, burgers, hot dogs, Chinese food, Indian food, Thai food, fish and chips etc. These types of containers need to be strong and robust for various reasons. Food should maintain a safe temperature level so it is ok to eat at a later time, shouldn’t leak out of containers and keep food away from elements in the environment which could affect its quality. Having a good stock of different varieties of disposable food containers enables you to offer a wider menu choice too. Make sure you have the right takeaway containers for your takeaway offering. At Alliance there are plenty of different options to suit all your needs from reputable suppliers and all are competitively priced.
Food containers can be used for many different applications such as:
- Deli containers.
- Catering containers.
- Take-out meals.
- “Doggy” bags.
- Retail containers.
- Bakeware disposable containers.
Disposable Container Material and Shapes
They also come in a number of different materials each with their own benefits, some with more advantages than other. Here’s a list of the different materials and their properties/features:
- Aluminium or foil is excellent for baking and serving-ware and is strong enough to handle heavy food. Aluminium is excellent for insulation because it conserves heat well and it’s ideal for both hot and cold food. Additionally it resists grease and oil. However, aluminium is not an environmentally friendly material and is unsuitable for microwave use. Available in square, rectangular, pudding and round shapes there are also gastronorm sizes for large scale catering or transporting large amounts of food. Matching lids are available according to design to keep food secured well.
- Biodegradable materials are excellent for green businesses and those who want to help reduce the carbon footprint because they are made of renewable materials. There are many different styles of containers available in biodegradable and compostable materials including lidded versions. Additionally, they are both microwave and freezer safe but please note that they lose the environmentally friendly benefits if they are not recycled in the right way. It should also be noted that these are more expensive than the other disposable containers on the market.
- Foam disposable containers come in a number of different sizes and configurations. Foam is a lightweight but durable material ideal for hot and cold food. Foam is also available laminated or non-laminated and there are co-ordinating lidded versions. Foam has many benefits; it is stackable, uses less energy to make than paper containers and is excellent for insulating food. However, foam is not an environmentally friendly option and is unsuitable for microwave use. There are a number of foam lidded and unlidded boxes including burger boxes, chip trays and potato boxes too.
- Plastic is a good choice in container but it is not environmentally friendly and is notoriously more expensive than other materials. However, there are a number of benefits in using plastic. Firstly it is non-absorbent and leak resistant. Plastic is also less likely to leak than paper or foam and it is available in microwave and freeze-able options. Additionally plastic is a strong, robust material and available as a transparent option which is excellent if you want food to be on display in disposable containers. There are many different designs including food containers, meal bowls and boxes as well as compartment style trays with co-ordinating lids.
- Paper is the most popular disposable container for a number of reasons. It is environmentally friendly, it conserves heat well, it repels grease and it is microwave safe. It is also easy to store because it takes up little space and paper comes in a number of different green options so it’s great for those looking to play their part in reducing the carbon footprint. It should be noted that very heavy food can put pressure on paper containers causing bending or folding and uncoated paper does absorb oil and food.
Disposable Container Applications
Leftovers and Take-Out
Foam is a good option because it keeps dishes warm or cold and it’s economical and lightweight. Foam containers come in different sizes, colours and shapes too according to your requirements. Additionally, paper is excellent for fish and chip containers and cardboard for chips, burger boxes and pizza boxes which are traditionally packed in cardboard boxes in different grades. Choose from:
- Burger boxes, various sizes.
- Burger wraps.
- Chip containers, various sizes.
- Meal boxes.
- Clamshell boxes.
- Hot Dog Trays.
- Donut Trays.
- Pizza Slice Trays.
- Noodle Boxes.
- Corrugated pizza Boxes, various sizes.
- Window box containers.
- Panini Wraps.
- Soup Containers, various sizes.
- Sandwich packs, various sizes.
- Tortilla packs.
- Multiple use containers.
- Children’s meal boxes various designs.
- Pasta pots.
Ideal for bakeries, these types of disposable containers help to merchandise and transport your products. Transparent containers are excellent as they are protective and a great way to showcase product. There are a number of different shapes and colours available as well as those able to hold multiple goods at once.
- Pie dishes.
- Foil containers.
- Pudding basins.
- Flan cases.
These are made of a variety of materials for example paper, cardboard and biodegradable materials and are designed to carry hot or cold drinks. Carriers are also available in cardboard and biodegradable materials and there are many different designs from those carrying just drinks alone to those carrying food with a compartment for a drink. Choose from:
- Hot and cold drinking cups.
- Vending cups.
- Soup pots.
Deli and Catering Containers
If you have a delicatessen style business then deli containers will be a staple and they are excellent to store and transport cold salads, fruit, dips, nuts, desserts and more. Usually constructed out of clear plastic they enable consumers to easily see the food and they display how appetising it is. Available in a number of different sizes, generally, round deli containers are the most popular shape.
- Ramekins, various sizes.
- Portion pots, various sizes.
- Rectangular deli pots.
- Round deli pots, various sizes.
- Gourmet containers, various sizes.
- Square deli pots, various sizes.
- Tamperproof deli pots, various sizes.
Ice Cream Containers
Ice cream parlours and food establishments serving ice cream to go needs a good stock of ice cream containers and the most environmentally friendly, inexpensive and lightweight product is the ice cream tub, made out of paper. Choose from different sizes to cope with different scoop loads and select matching lids to avoid spillage when customers take their ice cream away as well as colourful ice cream spoons.
For further information on Disposable Food Containers and Takeaway Boxes visit the Catering Disposables pages or contact the Alliance customer care team